My weight loss journey

After three pregnancies, too many calories and not enough exercise, I was overweight and very unhappy with my body. So I made the decision to change my lifestyle and commit to health and fitness. I started cutting my calories, eating a healthy, balanced diet and progressed my exercise program. I went from a size 16 to a size 2 and dropped my weight from 200lbs to 130lbs. I am now in better shape than I have ever been in my life and at age 34 my body has never been this fit.

BEFORE

BEFORE
me at 200 lbs!

AFTER

AFTER
Me 1 year later at 130lbs

Week 10 - Halfway there!

Posted Posted by Marathon Mama in Comments 2 comments

This week is somewhat of a "mile marker" for my 20 weeks of training leading up to marathon day. I am halfway there!

This week was great! I ran and ran and ran......about 40 miles total this week. The kids and I had some intersting explorations through some of the area parks. We found some VERY long trails and had to find our way back, but went to a great playground somewhere in there. The kids had a ball. As much as I love running solo, I also love including the boys in my run and making it a fun outing for everyone. Ethan started preschool this week and after I dropped him off on the first day, I took Carter with me on a bike ride though a wonderful park here in town. My bike has one of those baby seats on the back. He was a little tired and fell asleep with his head on my back!....poor baby! I felt sorry for him but when he fell asleep we were about 7 miles from the car! So he just slept like that for about 30 minutes. The other days I ran a lot. Friday I took the boys to a park with trails at sunrise and it had rained the night before.....Yes it actually rained.......So the humidity was at 100%. It was pretty hard to run sprints in that weather and we were all soaked with sweat. I don't care too much for the high humidity.

Over the weekend, my long run was amazing. I had more fun than I'd ever had before. I ran 14 miles, the farthest I have ever run. I ran at a 9.5 pace and I felt great. All the variables were working for me this time. My tummy was cooperating, no restroom emergencies this time (whew!). The weather was tolerable, cloudy with a breeze and not too hot early in the morning. I had a great Podcast from "this American life" to listen to and lots of energy. The challenge was great, the wind in my face and the fresh air in my lungs, I loved every mile. When it was over I was tired, very tired and in need of some calories but I was happy to have completed my goal that day. I am really getting this "long run" thing down. It has been a learning experience for me as you already know from reading previous posts. Now I have figured out what my routine is that works best for all aspects; digestion, energy, hydration, my feet, clothes, chaffing prevention, ect ect. I think so far I have worked out the kinks for at least half of the marathon. So we will see how the second half of the training goes. I will keep you posted.

Happy running!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it does feel great after a long run :) i am so trying to get back into my routine..it was a hard start today as u read about the dogs! Now that i think about it, i was chased by a rot as well awhile back! anyway.. i really enjoy ur blogs! I think ur ready for that marathon :)
~nadia~

Marathon Mama said...

Thanks Nadia, I am so sorry you got chased by those dogs! That would upset me, very scary. People need to make sure their dogs are kept in the yard! Might I suggest running in area parks instead of neighborhoods, here is the site for the linear greenways in San Antonio, they are all over town and my favorite jogging spots fyi
http://www.sanantonio.gov/creekways/?res=1600&ver=true

Post a Comment